Posted by Randolph Carter on June 8, 2009
MMO community connection:
Chapter 1: Introduction
What is your name (your online persona/alter-ego, what have you)?
Ardwulf, after my first Vanguard character, and my first MMO character that I felkt any attachment to. I started writing about MMOs (on the old, old GAX site) under that name and it stuck.
What is your connection to the gaming/blogging/podcasting community (your chance to plug yourself here)?
I’m a blogger and avid gamer. I’ve been playing Roleplaying games of the tabletop variety since 1981, and of the online variety since early 2007. I enjoy hearing myself talk, so I started writing about games almost immeditaely.
Please take a minute and describe what your blog/podcast is about.
Mostly it’s a journal of my own online adventures, interspersed with commentary about various games and the hobby in general.
Where were you born? Where did you grow up?
Born, raised and have always lived in Ohio, which is another name for an especially pernicious kind of purgatory.
Where do you live now?
In a little town about ten miles north of Akron at the moment. I’ll likely be relocating to Columbus some time in the next year.
Your level (age) is somewhere in the range of (pick one): 10-20, 21-30, 31-40, 41-50, 51-60, 61-70, 71-80, 81-90
31-40. I am a doddering old man by the standards of the hobby.
What do you do for a living?
I’m an SAP analyst in the automotive field, at least until I get laid off.
If you could reroll your career, what would you be?
Astronomer. Carl Sagan makes guest appearances in my dreams. Although I actually AM rerolling my career, kind of – I’ve just started going back to school with the aim of getting a programming degree.
List five random things most people don’t know about you.
I do talk a little bit about myself on the blog, but not a ton, under the assumption that orcs and dragons are more interesting than me. But let’s see:
- I’m published in the tabeltop RPG field, with a couple of minor credits.
- I’m a member of the Society for Creative Anachronism, a medieval recreation outfit. Every summer we dress up in funny clothes and hit each other with blunt objects. Yes, I own a kilt, and occasionally wear it, although not in general circulation.
- I am vigorously political, which is something I DON’T get into on the blog, since a good rule for keeping conversations polite is not to bring up politics or religion. I do not, however, fit into either the right-wing or left-wing pigionholes we Americans like to squeeze everybody into.
- I have too many hobbies. Another one is leatherwork. I can turn out a very sharp-looking belt, or a passable piece that’s more complicated. The best thing I ever did was a heavily tooled sword hanger based on a 15th-centry pattern.
- I got soemthing in my eye right at the very end of Titanic.
Feel free to discuss any family you have here.
I have a wonderful wife who I am pleased to sometimes play World of Warcraft with, and two cats, who I call Buddy and Hairball. Mrs. Ardwulf calls them by other names.